- chana dal
- ghee or olive oil
- brown mustard seed
- cumin seeds
- curry leaves
- chilli powder
- dried red chillies
- black pepper
Lets Make It
1. Wash the dal properly in several changes of water and drain. Turn on the heat, put the dal in a pot with enough water. It will begin to form, skim them off as it rises tot he top, do not allow to boil over and pour out of the pot. Add half a tsb of turmeric, cover partially and allow to cook for 1 hour. Make sure you constantly check incase it needs more water. When it is done, add the salt and mix well.
2. Put a another pan on heat. Pour in the ghee or olive oil. When hot add the asafoetida, mustard seeds. When they pop, add the cumin seeds. Add the red chillies, Stir until they get dark. Stir for a few seconds and add the chopped curry leaves (i didn't find curry leaves i used basil leaves), stir in the diced onions. Stir for about 7 minutes until the onions start to brown.
3. Stir in the ginger and garlic. Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and stir until they get soft, mashing them down with your wooden spoon. Add the chopped spinach and about 150ml of water. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add the chopped potatoes. Cover and cook gently or until the spinach is very soft.
4. Check your dal it should be ready by now. Pour in the spinach mixture and stir very well. Check the seasoning. Add the chilli power and the black pepper. If the dal is too thick add more water and stir.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning to you taste.
|Chana Dal with Spinach & Tomatoes|